Tuesday, October 6, 2009

"It's a great time to go offline." Discuss.

Pro:

Going offline is like having a baby. There's never a "good time." But when it happens, you embrace it, sing it to sleep, let it rock your world, and put too many pictures of it on Facebook. Minus the Facebook.

In fact, if I were to give up the internet, this is probably one of the best times to do so. We're in a recession, I don't have a job, and no one is actually depending on my electronic correspondence. I do have a short term writing gig I took on as I wrap up the dissertation, but once that's over, I could pull the plug.

I live close to family and friends, so I wouldn't be lonely. It's not like I'm spending a year abroad and depending on Skype video chats for sustenance.

I have unlimited text messages and a great cell phone plan.

I'm young. I'm spry. I don't have any mouths to feed. I have savings and I got a great deal on my lease. If there's any time in my life when I can take a breather, focus on the roses, travel, read, write, think, it's now. Either that, or retirement.

I have eyes to read with, feet to dance on, dogs to pet, letters to write, windows to insulate. Who needs the internet?

Besides, if I don't have a decent job for one year and scrap together an existence with savings and odd jobs, what's the problem? The market won't correct itself for at least that long, and then I'll have better chances of getting something great, instead of settling.

If I don't do this now, for the rest of my life I will be tethered to my netbook. Time to take charge. Take back my life. Take a virtual valium.

Con:

Disconnecting when I'm unemployed and a recent grad is reckless. Not to mention that there are certain important moments in my life, like graduation, which are looming, and which would benefit from internet planning and coordination. Hotel rooms. Invitations. Airfare research.

Most importantly, searching for a job with no internet access means I'd probably only be able to work for... myself? Since I'm the only person who would hire someone that... "interesting." Only then I wouldn't be able to afford my own services.

I would miss the critical post-graduation window and lose momentum.

My savings are for important goals like retirement, healthcare disasters and quality coffee, not income for a strange anti-technology experiment.

Leases expire, rents go up.

And rewriting my life to fit to this arbitrary constraint of "no internet" is at least as unhealthy, selfish and irrational as feeding a totally manageable internet addiction.

Ambivalence:

Meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment